Friday, October 24, 2014

well, ain't that a kick in the head

By

Two days ago, I got a figurative kick in the head...although it seemed like a literal kick in a head...

I had thought that the things were bad enough with a sudden onset of unexpected seizures. Seizures suck, but the way. Traumatizing, horrifying...but not generally life threatening. So, when I had another - the third - Tuesday morning while I getting ready for work, I shaken up, frustrated...but not particularly scared. In fact, I had my daughter, Katherine, drive me hospital instead of calling 9-1-1 this time. We were quickly admitted to E.R. and Steven drove back down to San Jose by Livermore to meet my there.

By the time I had settled into an ER bed - dizzy, sick to my stomach...I was feeling no bueno, but the staff had its hands full with a heart attack in the next room over. I started feeling twitchy in my arms and legs and my face felt tight - tell-tale signs that I was in for another seizure. I signaled to Steven and started breathing deeply and rhythmically to keep myself calm. It seems to help - although my arms transformed into to stiff, useless appendages, and I felt the awful buzz of uncontrollable electric current  going through my body, I manage to avoid losing full control of my mouth, which inevitably results into a solid tongue biting.

It seemed like forever until the ER nurse was able to get some Ativan to calm my body, but as she injected it into the iV, the liquid washed over me and eventually the seizure subsided. Seizing right there in the ER seemed to get their attention in a new way, and I finally felt like I was going to get some answers!  An MRI later, and I had my answer alright: a brain tumor. <THWAP!>

No comments:

Post a Comment