Friday, October 24, 2014

Forgive me for my "deep thoughts" in my early morning reflection

By

It was good to be home again and sleeping in my own bed. No nurses to wake me up incessantly -  to poke and prod and record endless data. I don't begrudge them that. The Good Samaritan staff was so caring and attentive, and I knew they were only doing their job. But there's nothing like lying next to my Schmoopy and hearing him breathe - the accidental brush against his leg or his arm. My love.

We will be strong most of the time. Most of the time. But sometimes we have to cry. And it seems like we've cried enough to cure the drought already. I'm sure there'll be many more tears. Funny. Most of tears come from the overwhelming gratitude for what I have in my life. The amazing outpouring of support from family and friends.

Anyone who knows me intimately, knows that I have rather unconventional "religious" beliefs. Raised in an atheistic/agnostic household, I was exposed to a smattering of organized religions. My mom's family is mostly Catholic - and I attended many masses in my childhood, usually when my grandmother was visiting. {I have also attended a Quaker meeting - which is really cool, if you've never been.} But I've always wrestled with the "'I'm right. You're wrong." aspect of organized religion. If Catholics think their dogma is 100% right, how do they account for the 1.6 billion muslims in the world who feel equally "right"? And vice versa? A quick search of google, and I see that 2.1 billion identify themselves as Christian - and that includes all Christian denominations... I could go on and on about the statistics, but that would muddy the point.

The point I'm trying to make is that because I was never indoctrinated into particular religion, I kind of came up with my own. And it goes something like this: Everyone has "good" inside of them. The love, joy, and wonder that makes the world a better place. And If we combine our own love/joy/wonder with other people's, it's even more powerful. In fact, I'd say, the sum total of "goodness" in every one of us is GOD. in all its/his/her glory. The flip side is that we all have evil, pettiness, greed, etc. within us. And if we allow that to take over our lives, then we waste so much time and energy.

So, in each day, we have choice. To tap into the goodness within us...or get sucked into the evil. I choose the goodness. And I feel the "goodness" in waves from all of my family and friends - in every FB message, every text, every card, every flower, every hug and kiss. I feel GOD touching me through YOU. And it's a beautiful, beautiful thing. Please know I that find such strength in you - you individually, and the collective YOU. And I might not always be strong enough or aware enough to personally acknowledge your love or support at any given moment. But I feel it. And it makes a difference.

So, yes, whatever you call them - prayers, thoughts, vibes...whatever! - keep them coming! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment