Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The One in Which I Feel Blessed to Meet my Granddaughter



5-1/2 months ago, I was diagnosed with gioblastoma multiforme. I couldn't even pronounce it or spell it, let alone tell you what it was! The hardest part in the first few days was having to tell our children about the dx. I don't remember much of the dark, early days - but I do remember sitting on the sofa, along side of my oldest, April, and failing miserably at "holding it together". After Steven explained the situation and what it meant, I leaned into her shoulder and choked out, "I'm gonna fight this. I'm gonna fight this so hard, so I can see your baby..." And she whispered, "Of course...I know..." Thank you for believing in me, April.

At the time, it seemed so far away...and I know for some people diagnosed with GBM, 5 months is a pipe dream. And yes, Autumn was my dreams that helped get me through the difficult times. I thought about Autumn Elizabeth to get me through my "custom fitting" of my radiation mask. I visualized her during my radiation sessions. I thought about Autumn Elizabeth during my MRI's...

And here she is - I made it to April's baby shower, and I'm still here for her birth! What a blessing!
Autumn Elizabeth, Day 3, Thinking some serious thoughts....
I put a cork board on my wall back in September. I pinned up Autumn's ultrasound picture, a brochure of our winemaker's cruise down the Seine (in April), and a picture of the UCSB graduation (Katherine graduates in June). At the time, those were the the events that I thought it reasonable to assume that I might still be here.  I also put a picture of the family at April & Coffey's wedding, representing all the "unofficial" opportunities I have to see the family.

I still get all squirrely and anxious when Steven gets too far ahead in the future. Maybe it's superstitious. Living with Cancer is a bizarre thing  -- for me, anyway. I want to remain hopeful, and yet I don't want to be too greedy. One day at a time, one week at a time, one month at a time...

Yes, I am a warrior, but I'm not fighting AGAINST something. I'm fighting FOR things. I'm a Mother Fuckin' Brain Cancer Fighting Ninja Warrior because I'm fighting for moments like holding my sweet granddaughter.
Cruising down the Seine with my Schmoopy  
http://winecruisegroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Steven-Kent-Wine-Cruise-April-2.pdf

Katherine's graduation...

I'm going to keep fighting for these things as long as I can. 


And I hear a collective whisper,
"Of course...I know..."
Thank you for believing in me.


5 comments:

  1. You have to add "Drink healthy green MFBCFNW smoothies with Jill at the table at the winery." Cuz I am coming out there sometime this year and we ARE gonna do that. Just saying'... and if I can drag McBride and Hawks with me I will. Might have to just kidnap them but we are going to do this and then we will act out scenes from Fiorello, Gypsy and every other show tune we feel like belting out. We might also need to sing the Halleluiah Chorus too, just because... All while wearing combat boots.
    And I don't just believe this will happen. I KNOW it will happen because you are THE MFBCFNW :)
    XOXO from a finally warmer DC!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad that you are finally able to hold Autumn Elizabeth and spend time with her. This is terrific (and I knew you'd get there).

    On another note... is the cruise sold out? It sounds so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to fighting FOR things. You warm my heart, June!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a fighter June! I knew you would meet that sweet baby girl! Congratulations Grandma...she's perfect!! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's to baby steps with big rewards. Love

    ReplyDelete