Monday, November 10, 2014

"Living Out Loud"

I have had several people comment that they admire me for "living out loud" with this blog. And I've been thinking about this a lot and what exactly they mean. Certainly, I have been cursing a little...okay, A LOT more,  but I have always been online, through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc. and waaaaaaayyyyy back when, on AOL. (Kiddies, I don't have time to explain, so just google that shit.)

 I have always been an open book as far as that goes.

And I find it fascinating when people tell me that they would never share (fill in the blank) ________ online. That's their "private life". Now, bank account information and other sensitive documents? I'm with you. But if you are living a life of which you are proud, why would you care who sees it?

Years ago, before I went back to school to get my teaching credential, I taught lessons in the computer lab at my kids' elementary school. Yes, kiddies, there was the internet back then, too! Only it was not so cool. Or fast. But everyone could definitely get online and google some shit and find out about things lickety-split (ish). 

I used to tell them, "Don't post anything online that you wouldn't want printed on the front page of the New York Times". And I still think that this is excellent advice. Of course, your personal business isn't likely to be printed on the front page of the NYT unless you have done some really awesome shit or really fucked up shit (I'd aim for the awesome, personally. But that's just me)... But the point is: if someone wants to know you're business, they are going to find out. The genie is out of the bottle, and you are not stuffing her back in, no matter how the sweet and plush the purple chaise lounge is.
[Anyone over the age of, say, 45-50 knows what I'm talking about! For the rest of you young'uns:]

I Dream of Jeannie's SWEET "crib in a bottle". Don't pretend that you wouldn't want to hang out in there.
Maybe your real question isn't "why would you care who sees it", but rather: "why would you want people to see it?" Ahhhh....Let's see if I can explain...

Through the years, I've connected with some kick ass groups of people who saw me through my happiest and most challenging times. My first real online connection was with a group of Stay-at-Home Moms (SAHMs) that began as a message board on AOL! (with dialup! I swear!) and eventually an email loop of lovely women who were in many ways the people that kept me sane when I had four children under the age of 8. I "met" them the year that I was pregnant with Sara. That would be '93 since she was born in '94 (Although her i.d. says something different. See! I told you nothing is a secret online!)

When I first started running, I stumbled upon three online communities: Dead Runners Society, Penguins and CVRT. They talked me through my first races, spurred me on to P.R.'s, and eventually convinced me that I could run marathons! In fact, I ran some of those races with some of those people.
The Penguin Runners Inaugural World Conference in Chicago
There's no law that says you can't meet people In Real Life (IRL) that you meet first on the internet. Although I wouldn't recommend it if you met them on, say, a website like: "SingleMuscularGuysonSteroidsWhoJustWantToMeetandPretendthatTheyAreKillingYou.net".
Then?
Not so much.
But if you AVOID sketchy websites like that - and have a modicum of common sense -  the internet can be a lovely place to meet like-minded people.

It really touched my heart when I began to rediscover high school friends on Facebook that I hadn't seen in years. If you still live in the town where you went to school - bully for you! But most of us don't. And my parents actually moved away from my "hometown", so I haven't even been to visit it in at least 10+ years. I live ~3,000 miles away from my high school.
The Awesomest Prom Table EVER in the history of time. (Except we're missing Peggy & her date)
What I didn't know is that these very, very real people that I mostly "visit" on Facebook and Twitter and Instagram and Pinterest, were going to be such a big support system for me during this -  my most challenging time of my life. June's Warriors? That was started by one of my online SAHM friends. My Online Running Group? I plan to join them in the annual trek to Frostbite Falls in January 2015. We are supposed to do 100 miles in the month, but we can arrive at the Falls on January 45th or even 83rd. I don't know how long it will take me. But I'm sure they will be there to high five me and give me virtual hot chocolate when I get there.

And my H.S. friends? I'm reminded day in and day out what an extraordinary group of people they were are. And I lament the fact that we can't go out right now and paint on some high school walls...put on our combat boots and come up with some lyrics and choreography for my new musical about the Ninja Warrior Outlier.

Facebook, as much as I trash talk it, has helped me stay connected with family and friends - IRL and  SAHM's and Runner-types across thousands of miles. No, It's not the same as a letter or a phone call. I make the analogy that it's like it would be if you lived in the same town, and you could run into each other every day or two at the grocery store or farmers' market. There's not the urgency to "catch up". You share simple pleasantries, and small complaints, and pictures of your kids...at the time that is convenient for you. Which is important for me when my family lives in an entirely different time zone.

I cry every day - Bad Ass Ninja Tears (BANTs)...for a lot of reasons. But yesterday, on my walk with Steven, I cried because I am so overwhelmed by the love and support that I have surrounding me. There are so many lovely, kind-hearted, fucking awesome people in this world. and I'm a honored to know them.

I'm sure in one my next blogs, I'll talk about the kick ass people I have nearby (IRL), who have also been lovely and kind-hearted, and fucking awesome. But I wanted to be sure and acknowledge those of you are so far away and still manage to make me feel like you are right there, lifting me up when I am at my lowest. I feel your support, hope, prayers, love - even if it's through the "interwebs".

So, kiddies, don't be afraid to "live out loud"...just avoid the sketchy websites and remember that everything you say/do is being recorded in on way or another anyway. So, try to say/do things that (most of the time) makes your proud.

P.S. Chuck wanted a place where you could just "like" a post rather than having to post a comment, so I added the little response boxes at the bottom. Let me know if you want me to add additional descriptors. Because the internet is the bomb-diggity, so I can do that for you!
Xoxoxo

12 comments:

  1. Love you, Joonswoon (@aol.com).

    ReplyDelete
  2. The SAHMs saved my sahnity - still do! <3 your posts and your warrior spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we all didn't live so far away and that Jeannie would blink us all together for ninja smoothies, combat boot musicals and ummm... recreational painting(?) whenever we want. Do we know anyone who's got a tele-porter or Tardis we can borrow? I tried googeling that shit but nada...
    So I guess for today I'm just gonna have to say "Happy Monday!" and keep living out lout cuz that's good stuff! :)
    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like more 'reaction' choices please...and what does 'meh' mean???
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shedding some BANTs of my own. Sending an ET finger touch over the bits and bytes of my mind. Go HAM! Don't google that shit, if you hate the cussin'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both times when Richard Brett got sick I used CaringBridge. It was a great way of keeping people informed about what was going on but it was also a place for me to write things down. It helped me understand what was going on and it will also serve as a record for when Richard Brett is older and wants all the details of his care. Sometimes I shared my feelings and worries but then it freaked people out. Sometimes people don't want to know the ugly. They just want rainbows and unicorns. I also knew Richard Brett would someday read them (as Jenna already was) so I never wanted to let on about my fears and struggles. I admire your openness and candor and wit...and even your potty mouth. Ugly doesn't scare me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some of my best friends, I've never met! Thanks for continuing to overshare, my friend. XO -- Proud member of June's Warriors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. SAHMs saved my sanity as well, at a time when I was learning to be a single mom. Dial-up...those were the days! I still have my SAHMMY binder of pictures, addresses, and introductory posts. I still wonder where some of us ended up. And I thank the internet gods every day that we met. Love you June!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I can so relate to this post June...my family lives 3000 miles away too. They visited a few times a year and I would travel back to Michigan with Kyle and Carly a few times a year~ we still do. We connect with new families when we live so far away from home. And I have some very strong Cali family connections over the past 28 years...love these people. However, when I return to Michigan, there is no place like home. When I book that trip, I always say, I am going home. Geez 28 years and Cali is still not home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Proud to have been your roomie at one of those special races!

    ReplyDelete