Monday, November 17, 2014

The One in Which Ninja Grasshopper's Hair Starts to Fall Out - #hairisjusthair

I shared an experience the other day on the way in to the doctor's office. The oncologist is on the 2nd floor of the medical building, and Steven and I opted to take the stairs rather than the elevator. A woman coming down the stairs, wearing a chemo head wrap, remarked as she passed us, "We've got to take the stairs as long as we can, right?" I replied, "That's right!" And I felt an instant connection with her. 
Damn right! Because we are Ninja WARRIORS!
But today I felt like I had reached a new milestone in my Ninja Warrior training. While showering and washing my hair, I noticed a lot of strands between my fingers as I passed my hands through to rinse the shampoo. Now, I have a lot of hair, so that's not that unusual. Steven can attest to how much hair he regularly pulls out of the drain. (On second thought, scratch that.. It's gross and you don't need that visual). But as I continued to rinse my hair, more and more strands were entwined in my fingers. I wasn't freaked out or sad. Really just fascinated. I knew it was coming. My chemo doesn't make all of my hair fall out, but the radiation will cause (is causing) patches of my hair to fall out. I was warned multiple times, so it was no surprise. It was just an acknowledgement that, "Yes, Grasshopper. This is happening."

...but still has much to learn about hair loss due to cancer treatment.
Which eventually lead me to think, 'How much more of this is going to happen?" Will I be wearing a chemo wrap like my Warrior sister in the stairwell? Or is it something I could cover up with one of those cute head wraps my daughters loving picked out for me right after my surgery so I could go out in public without scaring people with my gnarly wound?

They say that, with the chemo I'm taking, that the hair loss is contained to where the radiation is actually zapping your head, but since I keep my eyes closed the entire time, I'm not really sure where that is. I mean, are we talking, like, a bad haircut from Super Cuts? (#freepass - you can't sue me, so neener neener neener!)
 Side Note: OMG! You have to google image that shit: "Bad Haircuts from Super Cuts"!

I may possibly burn in hell for posting this,..
So, is that what I have to look forward to? Is it more like one of those mangy dogs that they shave after rescuing it on Hope for Paws? Those videos are so sweet, but man, those dogs look pathetic in the beginning.

I'm going to stop right now to say; I hope you realize that I not really thinking long and hard about this. Hair is just fucking hair. To be honest, this is the stupid shit that I think about sometimes so I don't get overwhelmed by the Big Picture.

Because the Big Picture can very, very overwhelming.

Lately, I've been thinking about how many Ninja Warriors there are out there - and how I always say that the power in numbers. I just found out today that another one of my friends, one of my teacher mentors, found out she has cancer. Time to WARRIOR UP and get shit done, my sister-friend. We need to go ninja on some serious cancer ass.
 #cancerisourbitch #motherfuckincancerfightingninjawarriors #noonefightsalone!

I'm so sorry that you're going through this shit!
Love,  June Xoxoxo

P.S. But first...search on google images for "Bad haircuts at Supercuts'...




4 comments:

  1. Hey...I cut my hair at Supercuts...but only with Bill. But I have simply short hair so maybe I can get away with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanted to share I know a MFBCFNW princess who recently had PET scan(s) to see if her symptoms were a sign of returning MF Cancer. Nope! Phrases like "no active melanoma" and the such-and-such "nodule in the lung has significantly decreased in size"...KEEP FIGHTING AND KICKING CANCER'S ASS!!! --Tish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Woot! Tell my fellow warrior, "Hell, yea!" and then give her a chest bump for me, okay? :)

      Delete