Monday, January 26, 2015

The One in Which I Try to Say "Thank You!" to Livermore


This blog entry is going to be a little bit different. I've tried more than once to write this,
 but I just keep getting "stuck" - and crying a bit alot... I've been trying to tell the story of our Livermore Fundraiser a couple weeks ago, and how grateful our family is for all of the effort and generosity...but it seems that I can't find the words to adequately express it. Sorry if it gets a little messy! Let's call it a Love Letter of sorts...
  • Thank you to all the amazing people who work at the Steven Kent Winery. For years and years, you have been the heart and soul of the SKW Family, but Steven and I could not imagine how we would have made it through these 3+ months without you.
Our Management Team- The Magic Behind the Mirrors

And Our Tasting Room Peeps - The Best Team You Will Ever Meet!
  • Thank you to all the incredible people who have to come to visit our winery again and again (and joined us for off-site events). You, too,  have become part of the heart and soul of the SKW family. 
Cheers to our Loyal Fans and Club Members!
I just started working at the winery in the tasting room in the spring 2014, and I often felt a lot of pressure  - It was/is so important to me to learn our club members' names - because you ARE family.  And you deserve to be treated that way!


Kiddies, I'll let you in on a little secret: our son, Aidan, is the the one that knows every single SKW family's name. If you don't know who he is, he's the one at the front of the house that looks like a  mini-Steven - except that he was bald when Steven had hair, and now Steven is bald, and Aidan has long, long hair - I know, it's complicated! [But one things for sure:  he would NEVER introduce himself as Steven's son.] The secret's out! Sorry, Aidan!
  • Thank you to the marvelous Livermore Wine Country Community who stepped in when things seemed impossible....and made it possible.
When I was diagnosed in the end of September 2014, it was the height of harvest season. Normally, Steven would be working 17+ hour days and sometimes sleeping at the winery to get an early start.  And that's how it started out this fall, too. Harvest 2014 was an intense one, too. Fruit was coming in early and at a break-neck speed.

September 23rd, that all changed for Steven because he was suddenly pulled away from the vineyards and thrust into the hospital halls - and then by my bedside at home, as I recovered from surgery. We are so grateful to the people who stepped in to allow Steven to be there by my side  - especially Craig Ploof (SKW's Assistant Winemaker) and so many people at Wente [our "winery next-door neighbors" and where Steven & Craig share the production facilities] -- Not to mention the Super SKW Team (see above) who filled the void in so many ways, while continuing to do everything already on their plates. What's that saying? "Busier than a one-armed paper hanger"? Sorry if that's not political correct. #freepass!
Craig hates to have pictures of himself online, so Shhhh! This will just be our little  secret, k?
A short little anecdote that illustrates my point: The first time Steven visited the Wente facility post -(my)surgery, and I tagged along because he couldn't imagine leaving me alone for that long. I was wandering around the barrel room while Steven and Craig tasted through the SKW bins of the "Baby Wines" in various stages of fermentation that would become part of the 2014 harvest wines. One of the Wente employees (who was driving a forklift through the area) unexpectedly stopped his vehicle, jumped down and headed towards me. He said, "I don't know you very well, but can I give you a hug?"
<lump in throat...teary-eyed even now remembering that act of sympathy and kindness...>

We also received so many generous donations for our fundraising cause from other local wineries, Steven and I are overwhelmed by your kindness. It really feels like we are in the tender arms of an extended family.
  • Thank you to Downtown Livermore for all their thoughts, prayers, and generous donations to our cause as well.
Rachael Lavezzo Snedecor came into Steven & my life as a winery family member, when Steven first started working with his father in Livermore at Ivan Tamas Winery. I vaguely remember that there were about 17 wineries there at that time. (Now, there are now over 50!) Folks thought of Livermore as a Cowtown - but that "cowtown" has grown into a respected wine growing appellation, and downtown is a Main Street filled with cool places to shop and eat. I'm thinking we have to give props to Rachael and her peeps for that continuing effort and vision since she's now the Executive Director of Downtown Livermore, Inc.

Apparently, this fundraiser at The Vine Cinema & Alehouse was also Rachael's vision, too.  But as they say, "It takes a village" - or a Family, in this case. On January 14, 2015, all these Family members came together to support us in the most touching and generous way. Our SKW family coordinated amazing donations from the Livermore Wine Country/Downtown and created awesome baskets for raffles, too.

Thank you for all your generous contributions!

Family & Friends from near and far came together to support Steven & me and our children. We shared a movie together  - one of my favorites, "Parenthood" - and those that couldn't attend also donated.
Thank you to my "Carson Family" for attending and supporting us, too!
 It was a truly beautiful expression that Steven and I will never forget. And the funds that were raised will help us through the uncertain future that we have ahead.


So, this is my love letter to you: Thank you to ALL of our Livermore Family for making this possible. A thousand, million, trillion kisses and hugs to you for proving yet again how extraordinary you are - and how lucky we are to be a part of it.  LIVERMORE ROCKS!

Love, June AKA #MFBCFNW

_________________________________________________________________________________
P.S. I couldn't believe how many people had never seen "Parenthood" (the movie) before! Do yourself a favor and track it down. It's an oldie (1989), but a goodie!

And I leave you one of the great scenes from the "Parenthood" movie...

[Gil has been complaining about his complicated life; Grandma wanders into the room]
Grandma: You know, when I was nineteen, Grandpa took me on a roller coaster.
Gil: Oh?
Grandma: Up, down, up, down. Oh, what a ride!
Gil: What a great story.
Grandma: I always wanted to go again. You know, it was just so interesting to me that a ride could make me so frightened, so scared, so sick, so excited, and so thrilled all together! Some didn't like it. They went on the merry-go-round. That just goes around. Nothing. I like the roller coaster. You get more out of it. 


I like the roller coaster, too, Grandma. I could use a few less twists and turns for a little while, though...but I don't think we get to choose. And I guess that's part of the point....the thrill is the unknown. Not just going 'round and 'round.






1 comment:

  1. I love that quote!!! and totally agree. (brooke)

    ReplyDelete