Thursday, January 29, 2015

The One in Which I Think I'm Having a Paddling Boarding Lesson



Have I ever told you the crazy story about my Spring Break 2013?

I'm not sure what came over me in 2013, but I decided to pack this week-long break with not just one, but TWO separate and crazy fun trips - on opposite ends of the U.S.!
1) I was invited by my parents to visit their condo in Maui with my daughter, Katherine.  (And you know the answer to that question is always, "YES!" Kiddies??? Right??? Have I taught you nothing?)

and

2)I had signed up to run the Disney Princess Half-Marathon in Disneyland with my sister the following weekend! Logistically, that meant I spent 4 days in Maui, that I flew home to San Jose, slept overnight, switched my bags up, and took off the next day for Orlando, Florida.

I KNOW! You don't have to tell me that it's crazy!  I lived it! But it was fun as hell! And I wouldn't have changed anything for the world. The Disney Half Marathon Adventure is going to have to wait for another time...I want to tell you a little story about our "Paddling Boarding" lessons on Maui...

I think Katherine and I were actually in Maui for 3 nights, 4 days - and we definitely sucked the marrow out of that experience: Boogie Boarding, Snorkeling, whale watching, Sunsets & Rainbows...
(Yes, my hair is red in this picture - I dyed because I was dressing as Merida from Brave for the half-marathon.)

Whale Watching and Boogie Boarding? Yes, please!

 But I want to tell you about our Paddle Boarding Lessons....

You see, I've always wanted to go paddle boarding, and Katherine was up for either paddle boarding or surfing lessons. Perfect! So, we booked a paddle boarding lesson online the night before and got up bright and early to get into Lahaina on time. "Todd", our instructor, suited us up with rash guards in the store and pointed casually to a video of people surfing that was running in a loop on their t.v. "See, I'll have you doing that in no time!!" Then he had us grab long boards and carry them across the street to the shoreline. "I like to use these long boards because I want you to really get up on those boards. Some people have a whole lesson and never even get up on the board. I guaruntee I'll get you up and surfing in no time."

Uh....it was suddenly really clear to me that he was under the impression that we were having SURFING lessons, not PADDLE BOARD lessons. This is the point where I had to make a decision. I knew Katherine wanted to learn to surf. And to turn this around now and switch Todd up...was it worth it? Or do I just go with the flow?

What do you think I did? Come on! You know me by now!

I had surfing lessons - for the first time! And Todd was right.
We practiced the moves on the sand first:
Kind of like this...

And then we went out in the water, and were able to pop up on those long boards and surf (almost) right away. We didn't pay for any pictures, so you'll have to imagine us there. Sorry!    Okay....HERE:

This is pretty much what adorable Katherine looked like surfing...

Here is about what I looked like...
See, we even have proof - we got certificates and hats and everything! I got an A+! hahaha!

 So...yada yada yada,,,

I bet you're thinking that this is one of the cute stories where you learn about how if you have an open mind and a free spirit, you can experience something unexpectedly wonderful...
and um...yes...that is true. But that's not why I've been thinking about this little story.

Lately, I feel like I've been taken on a journey that is way over my head...and to tell the truth, the last week or so, I've had a really, really hard time keeping my balance. I'm trying to stay calm and just float along the surface of the water, and I feel like I keep "falling off my board", so to speak, and being pummeled by waves.

I'm trying to imagine myself in control - standing on calm waters with a paddle to guide me -


But I can't seem to get it right. I want to say that I remain positive and calm and "in control", but that would be a lie. I've been doing a lot of panicking and crying this week. I'm trying to read what I can from other survivors who seem to have it all figured out. But the fact is that, in order to read this stories, I have to read probably 10x the number of people who haven't survived or who don't have a clue what they're doing...what's going to happen next...how they are going to deal with it...

And right now, I'm so very far from calm. I'm scared.

I hesitated to write this blog entry because so many people have come up to me and said how "inspiring" I am with my positive attitude through all this. And I thought I'd disappoint you. But I started writing this blog to be an authentic voice of someone living with brain cancer, and I want to keep it 100% real.

Right now, I kind of wish I had taken the paddle boarding lessons...but I hear it's pretty freakin' hard to stay upright on those suckers, too.

I'll keep working on it. Keep getting up when I lose my balance. Keep looking at the horizon. and Keep breathing  <in....and...out...in...and....out.> Because I'm sure "losing my shit" isn't in the Survival Manual.

I guess I just wanted you to know that Mother Fuckin' Brain Cancer Fighting Ninja Warriors get scared, too.

OH, and if you get invited to Maui, the answer is always, "YES!"

11 comments:

  1. Ohhhhhhhhh I really wish I could hug you in person today!

    Being scared is being a normal ninja! Hell, I'm scared for you! There is no manual for life, at least I've never found it. Maybe we should check w/ Pam H and see if she's got it in her library? :)
    Seriously, breathing is the best thing I've found for those panicky times. And I have them more often than I'd care to so I've learned it's ok to feel scared but breathing helps calm me, refocus and move forward.
    So I'm sorry today is tough day :( I hope it gets better and you can breath through it!
    XOXOXO
    JPM :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe we do need to get Ms. Pam H. on that manual. In the meantime, I'll just keep breathing! Or as Dory would say, "Keep on swimming...keep on swimming..." I'm looking at meditation as my next research project, for sure!

      Delete
  2. June, if you think that being scared makes you any less of an inspiration, you're crazy. You wouldn't be human if it all didn't get to you now and then. So I'm sending extra love and support in your direction today. I hope tomorrow you feel a little stronger and that calmer waters boost you up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! The extra love and support has magical powers to calm those waters! Xoxoxo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. June:
    Going through my own cancer battle myself now (quite different from yours though), believe me that, when I say you are an inspiration, it's the whole package. How you are able to share your struggles, pulling yourself back up, your appreciation for all of what life brings your way...all of it is inspiring. It's just who you are---trust me! Hugs and strength to you....Gabrielle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Gabrielle! I hold on to the hugs and strength from you - and your kind words mean so much! I hope you are on your own path to healing. Please feel free to message me privately if you want to share. {{{{{hugs}}}}} Love, June Xoxoxo! #mfbcfnw

      Delete
  5. Your honesty and self knowledge are truly inspirational, June. We love you and don't need or want you to sugarcoat anything. It is so telling that during this tough week, you are actually concerned about disappointing your readers??! Never! If anything, just the opposite. XO Charrisse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hardly a day goes by without me thinking of that amazing gift you dropped off at my house that day. (Partly because the box they came in is still on top of my refrig. haha!) What a lovely, thoughtful surprise. The cookies may be gone, but I have pictures of them all and one is now immortalized on my blog page! :)

      Thank you and love to you, Charrisse! Xoxoxo! Love, June Xoxoxo
      #mfbcfnw

      Delete
  6. Hi June,

    We don't know each other but I met Steven during my work time at Wente when his dad and Ivan Tamas were there in the 90's. I work at Concannon now and have been following your blog since your diagnosis. Your outlook on this entire ugly thing that is happening to you is heroic. Your writing touches me because I find a similarity between us in how we view life. You tell it like it is, which I relate to. Your blogs make me feel every emotion.

    I have never had a chance to tell Steven this, but I can relay it here. My son Chuck chose the life path of wine because of a 1997 SKW Cabernet that Steven, Jennifer Fazio and his staff gave to me when I left Wente in 2000. I can't actually remember the date we opened it, but Chuck was 16 or 17 at the time. He wrote a story about it. How the wine made him decide that winemaking was what he wanted to do. I hope I can find the story because I would like to share it with you both. Chuck would most likely be embarrassed that I shared it with you, but I find it important because I want you both to know how Steven's wines actually have affected someone so remotely...so strongly that he actually steered his life path to wine. Even though I am in the business, I am pretty sure I didn't have that strong of an influence. :)

    June, I hope someday to meet you in person.

    Until then, I'll just keep reading everything you write. :)

    Best Regards,
    Denise McKahn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing, Denise - and I will definitely share with Steven. I'm sure he would love to see the story Chuck wrote (If it wouldn't be too embarrassing to Chuck! haha!) That's one of Steven's principle philosophies as a wine maker - that it has the ability to transport us so far beyond "just" taste and smell. There is magic in the sharing with other people that can solidify feelings and moments in time and then allow us to revisit them...

      I hope I get to share one of those moments with you in person soon, too!
      Love, June Xoxoxo AKA #MFBCFNW

      Delete