Thursday, December 4, 2014

The One in Which I Just Try to Recognize that Life is Happening...NOW!



This was my day yesterday.  I've included some lessons along the way that I'm learning every day...just for you, kiddies!

MY MORNING
I woke up early this morning, and instead of writing for my blog, I wrote an email to my children. I had mentioned yesterday that I was working on a page about my Personal "Now What?" after my initial treatment is done. I will still post something eventually, but I felt like I should share that with them privately first, rather than on my blog. Especially because my "Now What" is all about them!  The Cliff Notes version: I am determined to live purposefully (PLAN) to make sure we spend as much time together as possible. And in those precious moments, just focus on that, and not worry about what may or may not get in the way of our plans down the road.  

Kiddies, here's been a huge lesson for me: We can (and should) PLAN for life, but we can't CONTROL it.

After a long stint on the laptop, I did my juicing routine. I juiced some crisp cucumber with some carrots, several leaves of spinach, a little ginger for a zing, and one small apple. It was surprisingly delicious, as the vegetable juicing combinations can be. Really!

Side note: Okay, kiddies! I was going to describe things as organic, but it got really repetitive. So, assume that everything I am eating is organic whenever possible from now on. That was one of the biggest take-aways from our first meeting with the UCSF neuro-oncologist in October. 

Another lesson I've learned: When it comes to cancer - and just your health in general -  eating organic is really important.
Once I was done, my brother made  juice with organic radishes and organic apples (see, doesn't it already sound repetitive?) The combo also was surprisingly good.  Go, figure!  I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but my older brother, John, is staying in town for a while. We were born only ~15 months apart, so we don't actually fit the definition of "Irish Twins", but we were pretty darn close.
Aren't we the cutest things? I'm not sure if he is making a peace sign or doing some dorky Star Trek thing, though...
John lives in Boston, MA with his lovely significant other, Condee, but they agreed that it was the right thing for him to come out here for a lengthy stay to be closer to me after my prognosis. Fortunately, he has the kind of job that he can do pretty much anywhere (as long as he has a landline - which is proving to be more challenging to find here in Silicon Valley than one would think). I am so grateful to him for having rearranged his life in order for this to happen and so grateful to Condee for being willing to accept his absence for a while.

I got to spend a lot of quality time with my older sister, too, the week after my surgery. Although I think I was a lot less perky then. Sorry, Sis! <smooches!> See you at Christmas time!!!
Spring 2013, Disney Princess Half Marathon with Seestor
I know not everyone has the ability to do this! Alert: This is a NO GUILT Zone!

 Kiddies, I'm just saying that there's something special about being together with someone so much that you lose that urge to fill every silence with words because you just don't feel like you have enough time to say everything you want to say.... and you are in ordinary situations when magical, spontaneous moments can happen. Bottom line:  Keep your family close to you if at all possible.

Oh, and just so you get this straight, I have no one to blame but myself for this situation. 22+ years ago, Steven and I moved 3,000 miles across the country, and it devastated my family. They tried to teach us that lesson long ago, but we didn't listen! (Darn kids!) I didn't really think my parents would ever forgive him for "moving me away" ...but I told him just yesterday that I think he's come a long way towards redemption as they've seen what a #ROCKSTAR he's been through this shit.

Speaking of the #rockstar AKA #baldhottie - It's been raining...I mean, like, REALLY raining here in San Jose (YAY!) , but Steven and I went out for our walk up Communications Hill anyway. I had gotten a brand new wool hat from amazon yesterday (with a  soft, silky interior - mmmmmm) to warm me up without irritating the bald, zappitied parts of my scalp. And Steven thoughtfully bought me some gloves at the store (awww!). We were toasty warm even despite the wind at the top. We talked about life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness - you know, the usual chit-chat!
Gratuitous picture of piggy in rain boots. (Don't be so serious all the time!)
Kiddies, I have already said that it is the daily connections that matter. These walks are the highlight of both our days. But here's a new lesson for you: You CAN walk/run in the rain if you have some good gear on. That's something we know instinctively as kids that somehow we forget when we get older. Humans don't melt!

By the time we had finished our walk, we had barely enough time to get ready for my radiation therapy appointment. I decided to make today's ninja star out of cheery colors (yellow & orange) to combat the gray skies:

It's a little messy because I was rushed and in the car, but between the things that I wrote in my email to my kids and the conversation I had with Steven, I knew the message I wanted to carry with me today:

BE PRESENT. LIFE IS HAPPENING RIGHT NOW!

I included the #planforit because I don't think that this is the same philosophy as just letting life "happen" around you. You plan to make it happen. But then shit happens and you need to adjust....And while it's all happening, be THERE, not thinking or looking for the next thing. Lamenting the fact that something "ruined your plans" ...Or worse yet, looking back and wasting time wishing you had paid more attention in the past. <--- Okay, that was stream-of-conciousness version, but I think that there's a theorem in there somewhere:

PLANS + SHIT = LIFE
 DEAL WITH IT + APPRECIATE WHAT YOU HAVE

That's a rough sketch, but I want credit when some genius solves the whole thing. This could be some Good Will Hunting kind of shit.

MY AFTERNOON
After my treatment, Steven and I went for lunch at a little Italian place. The pizza oven warmed the restaurant and created a perfect atmosphere to combat the rain. And - I kid you not -  a rainbow did appeared in the sky as we were walking back to the car. I'm not making this up. (Now, if I had said there was a cat riding a unicorn, I can understand how it would have sounded suspicious.) I thought about taking a picture of it, and then I decided, "No. I want to really SEE it. RIGHT NOW."

Another lesson for you kiddies: Look up and around. There are fleeting beautiful things that you will miss if you are always looking down. And you don't have to Snapchat or Instagram it all. (P.S. I'm not being a hater. You know I love me some social media!)

The rest of the day for me was spent under my Chemo Project Blanket (Love!), watching a few good movies with my brother and Steven. I got a surprise visit from a former coworker/friend, Irene. Unexpected extra hugs and gifts! Bonus love!!! Xoxoxo!
The object to the right is a "Dammit Doll". Irene said she wanted to get me a "Fuck It" doll, but they didn't have one. Haha!
EVENING
 I skipped my daily nap (which hardly ever happens these days!) because I was enjoying my rainy afternoon so much. So, my evening was short. But Steven made this simple meal of chicken and green beans (organic stuff  - DUH! - that John bought at Whole Foods). It was yummy! Did you know that organic chicken from WF actually tastes like CHICKEN?!  And we sat around the dining room table and "broke bread" together with Aidan. Until I went to bed at the late, late hour of 8:00 p.m.

This last lesson goes out to all of you that have someone in your life that is dealing with any serious illness: I know you feel helpless and that there is "nothing you can do". and it feels that way because, let's face it, what we all really want to do is give them their health back. and it sucks that we can't.

But what you can do is be one of the "small-ish" things in their day that make them smile, or laugh, or cry, or look with a sense of wonder. (If you can't be there in person - a card, a message on Facebook or Twitter, a text...it all makes a difference.) 

And if you are one of the people like me, who currently has a serious, shitty illness: 
Try, try, try to spend as much of your day as you can
Being Present 
and 
Realizing that LIFE is happening all around you...
including IN YOU.

So, kiddies, there you have it:
Open your arms, and let it in. This is LIFE! Right here. Right now.



3 comments:

  1. Smack the Damn It doll for me because I hate it when you make me think and cry (at work... while I pretend to be working but I'm really reading your blog and screwing around on Twitter!)
    So why is it hard for us to live in the present? I feel like I'm always planning for the future: vacation... college tuition... retirement... next home improvement... laundry. (ever notice how that shit never goes away?!) Guess I have to heed your advice and just enjoy it all in the here and now. Today. Every day.
    Oh and that organic thing is so right on. It's amazing that organic food tastes like, well.. food! Maybe we're on the organic bandwagon cuz we are from the Garden State? I mean, is there anything better than a jersey tomato in the summer? I swear that organic has kept me relatively healthy (big ass uterine tumors aside) all my life.
    Enjoy life in the rain with Schmoopy! XOXO from chilly DC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. June.... I just heard about your illness and I'm shocked. It seems like yesterday when we spoke to you at the Lester Family Vineyard. You are a strong woman and I look up to you. Organic and Natural... yes these are the things in these days. I learned my lesson 5 years ago.I had tears in my eyes when I was reading your blog. I think I can learn a lot from you. Be strong and positive. I believe in miracles and you deserve one. Wishing you the best. Petra & Jim Holm

    ReplyDelete