Friday, October 2, 2015

The One in Which I Unpack the Love

Earlier this week, I had a Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. Steven had left for work already - as every day during harvest season. Sometimes, I feel emotional and down for no particular reason. I know. I know. I have a pretty good reason: I have brain cancer.

But I have brain cancer all the time. And most of the time, I go about my day and don't even think about it.
Okay, I call bullshit on myself. I do think about it, but I don't DWELL on it.

But this particular morning, it was overwhelming. I was sad, and depressed, and....lonely. Honestly, all I wanted to do is lay in bed, safe under the covers, Steven's arms wrapped around me. He can't say, "It will all be okay.", but he could say, "I'm here for you."

Only he couldn't. I was alone In our new house, and he was working hard for Harvest 2015,

So, I did the next best I could think of: I pulled his out-of-shape, holey sweater from on top of his dresser and put it on me. I took a big sniff of it first - to smell the Schmoopy scent. And then I just curled up in my bed, and cried. Big, juicy tears rolled down my face, and I used the arms of Steven's sweater to continually wipe them away. Also, to wipe my sniveling nose. (Sorry, Schmoopy! I promised that I washed it after! See!)

What do you think? Circa 1980's?
After a good, cleansing cry, I lay in there in bed, just thinking through my mood and what was going on. It wasn't the end of the world, but I had every right to have a meltdown. I didn't even have to use my #cancercard. Moving is stressful. But I was crying about my cancer - still feeling sad, depressed, and alone.

As I looked out in the distance and contemplated my situation, I remembered how scared and upset I was when I first got my diagnosis. And how many of you rallied around me, surrounding me love and prayers, and strength. And in a "made-for-t.v.movie moment", I decided to get up out of bed and find the box that we had in the garage that I labelled: "June - post dx inspiration - study".

Study was referring to the location that box would go, but now that I think about it, it works as a command, too. 
I wrangled with the boxes in our garage and found the right one and hauled off to the study - which is a fancy word for "Steven's and June's shared office where he'll drive me crazy watching Golden State Warriors post-season highlights (without headphones), and I'll end up in the family room using my computer". (It's just a convenient shorthand.)

I started unpacking the box and there were two posters on the top - one was from our team for Relay for Life (Go, Wine Girls!), and one was given to me by Jeanne Mullins. She dropped it off and said, "I was just practicing in my calligraphy class, and I thought of you. I lost it right then and there, and sobbed. Jeanne was diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer about a month after she gave that to me, and died a peaceful death surrounded by the love of her family. Again, this sounds like a Lifetime movie script, but this really happened just like I'm writing this.

I'm not giving up, Jeanne. But thank you for reminding me that I can scream and cry. 
Go figure, Steven came home right then, as I stood in our study/office and said, "What's wrong?" I suggested that w go for a walk in a few minutes, and I could talk to him about it. The answer to that question was more than a one-liner. We had a good walk around the vineyard with the doggies. I held his purple, calloused, and blistered hand from harvest work, and talked & cried. Probably, he didn't understand half of what I said, but that's okay. He was there for me.

The next day, I started to reconstruct the corner I had in my old house, with all the treasures and reminders from all of you. I finished today.

This is my new sacred corner - filled with love! The corkboard on the top has my goals for this year
Top Shelf: Yes, that is my radiation mask in a purple wig and Minnie Mouse ears.

Shelf Two: Many angels and ninjas, etc.....all keeping Dr. Awesomesauce company

Shelf three: The Stars of The Kick-Ass Ninja Adventures of June/The Outlier .<---click for the story

And so many other treasures of positivity!
Instead of putting up each card, letter, and email you sent me, I put in a container customized for me that's labelled #MFBCFNW. As I put each thing inside, I reread the sweet, loving, thoughtful things people took the time to send me. Many of you included phone numbers so I can call whenever I need anything. It struck me like a sledgehammer that am never alone.
Ninja Stars on the left, all your loving messages on the right. SQUIRREL!

[I also looked at last year's goals that I had and decided to add pictures of the things I had accomplished, despite the odds. I'll have to include that in a future post, I think!]

And then...and then...this morning I woke up to THIS on my timeline on Facebook:

In case you were wondering, that was a spectacular way to start my day!
When I start feeling sad, and depressed, and lonely again, instead of going into my bed and hiding under the covers, I'm going to go into my new sacred spot and STUDY in my study. Assuming, Steven's not watching Golden State Warriors highlights...


1 comment: