Tuesday, October 13, 2015

The One in Which I Hope Winter is Coming



No, I'm not talking about the very popular series Game of Thrones. I watched a couple of seasons, but my very wise son and I had a conversation a while back about how he stopped watching those kinds of shows because he didn't want those violent images in his head. I thought about it, and I agreed. I don't need those kinds of gruesome thoughts in my head. So, when I say, "I hope winter is coming." I'm not referring to THAT winter..

I'm talking about the seasons-seasons. You know, like spring, summer, fall, and winter. (and NO, they're not capitalized in this situation. I googled that shit, you fellow grammar geeks!)

Now, I am straight up going to warn you that I'm not going to write anything in this post that's terribly orginal. #sorrynotsorry Writers have been using seasons as an analogy for life ...well, probably forever. If we could interpret all the petrolglyphs on the rocks, we would most likely read messages about seasons being an analogy for life.

But I have something to say about it; I have my own voice, ...and most importantly, you can't stop me. So, neener, neener, neener! 

I'm going to put my mom on blast for a second, but I'm also going to turn the lens around and look at myself,, so I hope she doesn't take offense.
But just in case: I love you, Mom! <smooches!>
I have two siblings, and despite our very different personalities and lifestyles, we love being together. And when we get together, we tend to be loud and raucous, and we think we're hilarious. At least we laugh A LOT. My mom often seems to get frustrated because she can't get a word in edgewise as we riff off of each other. After all, we are from the same generation - have the same cultural references - and have had a lot of the same expeiences since birth. I've often said that my mother wants to have all the family together, but once she gets her wish, she seems like..."be careful what you wish for..." Most of the time, I think she is better one-on-one with each of us because she can really TALK instead of listening to us. P.S. I don't think we're as hilarious as we may think we are. <gasp!> No! That can't be, can it?

My siblings: brother John, sister, Kathleen/Kathy/Kate, and me (I'm easy to pick out. I'm the one with blue hair and brain cancer) - Summer 2015


I have experienced the same thing with our four children. They are seven years apart, oldest to youngest, but when you get into your 20's, that gap doesn't seem like that big. And our kids are very close. They've got each other's back and communicate regularly. Just like my siblings and I, they are really different in personalities and lifestyle, but they have such love for each other!

Aidan, Katherine, April, and Sara - Daou Winery, Summer 2015


We recently went wine tasting at Daou Winery in Paso Robles. We were looking for a place to meet halfway between Santa Barbara, where Katherine is living right now, and the Bay Area, where the rest of us are . Sara recently turned 21, so we can all go wine tasting <eh hem!> LEGALLY, I should add. But once we got around this big table, (just as usually happens when we get together as a family) the kids are very loud and raucous...and yes, they really are hilarious.  I was trying to participate in the conversation, but ...wouldn't you know it! I couldn't get a word in edgewise! And I was growing more frustrated. I kept opening my mouth to speak, but one of the children or another was hopping in to say something. This has happened before in similar situations. In fact, it happened one time when I was with my mother, and she looked across the table at me as if to say, "See. See what I feel like." We spoke about it later, and we agreed that we felt ...."marginalized" at those times.

But then I had this moment of clarity at Daou. It wasn't my turn. It was their turn. I don't mean this in a deragatory way at all. I sat back and watched and listened and enjoyed every minute of it. (Except when I snuck away with my granddaughter, Autumn, and went for a walk with her in a sling and talked to her about all the pretty flowers on the property. She had a lot of very insightful things to say.)

Yep! Grandma June using a sling like a boss!
Watching my children - so different and yet so close and funny and enjoying the whole experience of being together - I was bursting with pride and feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. And I know Steven was, too. We talked about it on our way home.


Or more accurately: WE made "dis". Okay, if we're going to be truly accurate, we made four of dese...I mean, "these"



I've been thinking a lot about that experience, and realized there's a time for everyone. I wasn't being "marginalized" that day. There are no margins unless you limit the space you can occupy. I was in a different space - not in the margins - just like Autumn.

Autumn (despite her name! haha!) is in the beginning of her life - the spring. When you first see the signs of life. She is blooming and growing so quickly. Every day, we see something new and different. It's almost hard to keep up.
Could she be any cuter??? (Pssst! The only acceptable answer is "NO, she's the cutest thing EVER!")

When she gets a bit older, she will be in Summer. Bright and full of promise,  children grow into adults - first, with little responsibility, but getting stronger through nurturing and their own determination. There are so many variables, who knows now how she'll "turn out"?

Our kids are in the summers of their lives. Doesn't everyone like summer? Summer is awesome! Full of possibilities, and yet, sometimes it can seem stressful because we are trying to cram so much into that time. School, relationships, maybe travel...marriage and babies (not necessarily in that order)...It's intense and chaotic but as much fun as it can be...

Steven and I are in the fall of our lives. Transitions through our lives are usually gradual and sometimes we turn around and say, "Huh. When did that happen?" There's no definitive line. I took this picture in the vineyard the other day while walking with Steven because I thought that it represented a lot of what I was thinking. We have the leaves turning colors while the fruit hangs ripening. Some blocks are ready to be picked and begin the new season while others need more time to mature.




Without getting too hokey (#too late #don'tcare #stfu), we are seeing the fruits of our labor break away and change into the things they're meant to be. Some of it is our doing, but some of it has nothing to do with us. So many variables...

I think of our parents as being in the winters of their lives. Winter is usually less flashy. Sometimes it can look barren or colorless. Sometimes it's associated with death. But think about it: winter can be really long. And if you look closely, you see the beauty. The sun sparkling on the snow, or the cleansing rain, or the trees revealing intricate, gnarly branches that are obscured during the other seasons by the leaves. The water amd those branches are sources of life. And they're beautiful.

Think about the season of life you're in. Yes, it's natural to reflect on seasons past, but don't begrudge those that are there now. Or be fearful or resentful of where you are now or where you're going. Appreciate its own unique beauty.

I'm appreciating this time of life, but as my title says: I hope winter is coming for me eventually  because it looks pretty damn sweet to me.


And remember: you can only be marginalized if you limit the space that you occupy.

2 comments:

  1. Seestor, as usual this post brought goosebumps. You are truly extraordinary writer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, seestor! I can't wait to see you again - and be loud and raucous and hilarious! haha! Xoxoxo

      Delete