Thursday, February 19, 2015

The One in Which I Thank the Carson Family & Say Good-bye to One of Our Own


In 1994, we moved into this house, and our oldest daughter, April, started attending the neighborhood school, Rachel Carson Elementary. At the time, there were roughly 600+ students going there  - (Today, there are about 400 students!) -  so if you're really curious about why there were so many, Google that Shit: "SJUSD" and "court ordered bussing" It's an interesting story, but for another time...

Every year, the kids endured a First Day of School picture on our porch. This one was from Katherine's first day of kindergarten since Sara isn't in uniform yet.
The students wore/wear uniforms, so it looked like a sea of green and blue when I went to pick  her up in the afternoon with my three littler ones. As we walked by the front of the school on our way home, the principal said, "How was your first day, April?"

I remember thinking at that time what a special thing it was - to remember a child's name - (one child in 600!) - on the first day. How meaningful that was to her - and me! But that's the kind of school Rachel Carson is - a real FAMILY of staff and parents and children. I have been there ever since: all four of my children attended Carson, and I began working there - first as a parent volunteer, then a part-time computer lab instructor, and eventually as a full-time teacher.  And it's been a privilege.

I have never felt more honored to be a part of the Carson School Community than I felt last Friday night, February 13th, when they came together for a Valentine's Day Dance  - that benefited me and my family! It was a lovely event, and I was honored and overwhelmed. There was dancing, and a photo station, food and raffles baskets. And the kids were so pumped to have an opportunity to get "spiffied up". They were adorable!

Thank you to all the parents, teachers, staff, and students 
who made this so special!

I'm not going to lie - I was anxious about this event because it was a mixture of present day students  (read: young) and "old" students (now in high school). I thought a lot about what I was going to wear because I didn't want to freak out the little ones. "Who is that sick, bald lady, and where is Mrs. Mirassou?"

I wanted them to feel comfortable coming up to me and walking way with a happy picture in their minds of Mrs. Mirassou. After some consultation and shopping with my daughter, I ended up with my purple wig with a white flower clipped to the side, a bright pink sweater and black & white scarf with hearts all over it in honor of the holiday. I know it sounds pretty "clown-like", but I'd rather the little ones view me as approachable and funny looking than sickly and scary. I guess it's the elementary school teacher in me.

As far as I know there are no pictures of this - I didn't take any. Kiddies, I've realized that when you've been the "unofficial photographer" for a really long time, no one steps up unless you specifically ask them! DOH!

The older/high school students were well-aware of the "real deal". In fact, I'd already received a precious gift that one of my former students (Thank you, Emily Cole! <3) had coordinated: a notebook that she'd passed around the high school a couple months before filled with messages of hope and love and gratitude.


Being a teacher is somewhat like being a parent. it's not like making "widgets". If you're lucky, you get to see/hear the results of what you've accomplished many years later. As a teacher, sometimes you never know the effect that one small thing may have had on a child - good or bad, really - and that can make it very daunting.



These heart-felt messages in this notebook really made my heart smile as I read through them.  
But helpful tip: all children will tell you that you were "their favorite teacher"- So sweet! (Sorry to ruin it for you new teachers out there! haha!)

One of my favorite things about teaching is having the opportunity to have siblings come up in the grades so I have multiple children from the same family. As a mom of four, I know how different they can be and yet how there are shared experiences that leave an indelible mark on them - like having the same fifth grade teacher! 

At Friday's event, one little girl shyly scooted up to me (with some prodding from her mom) during the night to hand me a little note. I had had her brother several years earlier, but hadn't had the pleasure of her in my classroom. She held in her hand a folded up "Super Star" ticket, obviously a scrap of paper she'd found to write an impromptu message that she wanted to share with me.

Look past the spelling/grammar...this is an example of the pure light and innocence of a child, straight from the heart.
 So, Friday night, I got to visit with students - young & old, parents and staff members and watch the magic that is Carson School. I wish I could have stayed the whole night long, bopping on the dance floor until lights out, and greeting every single person who attended.

Unfortunately, that was the end of my first new cycle of chemotherapy with the higher dosage, and I was/am still trying to work it out. (It's almost a week later, and I will don't feel 100% yet....)

Please know that in my HEART, I was there the whole time, ....and I am so, so grateful for everything you did!
____________________________________________________________

Finally, I want to say good-bye to one our very special Carson Family members.  Jeanne Mullins was a first and second grade teacher at Carson for many years. Not only did two of my children have her as a teacher, but she was my Master Teacher when I was student teaching to get my CA Teaching Credential.


I learned so much in her classroom -  not just about the ins-and-outs of "teaching" -  but about creating an environment in where children feel important and loved. That extended outside the classroom into every area of Jeanne's life. You will be missed, my friend.


2 comments:

  1. It was a great night! I am so glad I got to see you!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete