Sunday, February 15, 2015

The One in Which I Reveal My Valentine's Gift


I've been following on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram as people (read: women) show/tell what their Valentine's Day Gifts were. I thought I'd share mine:

Okay, it's probably not a big secret at this point...



My Valentine's Day Gift(s) 2015
A Man Who...
  • Stroked my hair back from my face and placed tissues under my chin as I rode out a strong focal seizure, whispering in my ear, "That's right. Relax. You're doing great..."
  • Strode along the hospital hallways, then the neighborhood sidewalk, and The Hill - always at my pace, as we talked or not talked - but always held hands.
  • Literally, talked me into breathing again when I had a full-on panic attack after taking a new medication.  (If any of you have had a panic attack in your life, you know scary that can be.)
  • Was my voice when I could not be my own voice in doctors' meetings and social gatherings...
  • And had the patience to listen when I started to find my own voice, and know when to talk and when NOT to talk (most of the time)
  • Somehow manages to keep this boat afloat despite the rocky seas - bill gets paid, appointments are made, medications are refilled...
  • Has stood by my side the last four months during the most challenging time in our lives -
  • Doesn't focus on my freaky, semi-bald, Alien Crop Circle head, but instead looks into my eyes and says multiple times a day, "You know I love you....I mean, I really love you."
And I believe him. Because only a really, really special Valentine could gifts like that. And yes, I'm fully aware of how lucky I am.

My Schmoopy!

4 comments:

  1. Which says that you have an amazing ability to be grateful and loving while enduring such trauma. Such an inspiration! Happy Belated V Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I think there's something in my eye" --- Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! So eloquently stated. So endearing and inspirational. Every day is Valentine's Day with you two love birds. I so admire you both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I have to come out there and hug both of you. He is a true partner and clearly your soul mate. I hope you had a wonderful day together!
    Xoxox

    ReplyDelete