Monday, March 28, 2016

The One in Which I Talk About Guilt - Could I or Should I

I recently told y'all that my parents are fucking amazing parents and grandparents (#FAP). If you don't believe me yet, I'll add proof: Nana & Grandpa (my mom and dad) started a tradition with their oldest grandchild to commemorate their high school graduation by taking them on a trip...I mean, a kick ass trip. Like Italy, or Spain, or Australia! My Sara...the "baby" (going to be 22 in July) was late in going on her trip. The problem was 1) she doesn't like flying and 2) she doesn't really have interest in world travel. Go figure! She definitely didn't inherit the genetic characteristic that is so evident in her grandparents and parents...and most of her siblings and cousins! So, everyone has been kind of stumped how to make this trip work. I would say about 6-9 months ago, we came up with a solution: Instead leaving the U.S., they would go to Orlando, Florida and do the theme parks. Oh, and Nana & Grandpa's oldest grandchild, Jessica, lives in Orlando! Bonus! And extra Bonus: I got to accompany her! Whooot!

If you follow the timeline, you know that this decision and the planning and preparation was done long ago - and before my recurrence. At the time, I was so excited! I had gone to Disneyland last year with Steven, but you can never have enough Disney, right? And Orlando has Epcot Center - which I've never been inside, just run past it on the Disney Princess Half Marathon.
Running past Epcot in the Disney Princess Half-Marathon dressed as Merida from Brave 

And, and, and...there is also Harry Potter's Wizarding World!!! Hello!!! We are for sure one of the biggest geeky Potter fan families out there. We, as a family of six, would often buy multiple copies of the latest released book in the series and read non-stop.We sorted ourselves into the Hogwarts houses. (By the way, they all say that I'm a Hufflepuff.)
At Diagon Alley - Me, with all my flare! Including my HuffllePuff beanie, of course!
But the recurrence changed everything for me. I've written already about my anxiety attacks and depression...and the day before our trip was supposed to start, I had a full-blown Anxiety Attack. I didn't think I could make this trip without Steven, my caregiver. My mind was dizzy with "What Ifs". I felt like I was swirling around the plug and going to get sucked in. We scrambled with my parents to arrange to have Steven join us. (Have I mentioned already that my parents are Fucking Amazing? #FAP) And I regained the confidence to board that flight - a red-eye from SFO to Orlando.

I had been right to have trepidation about this trip. By the time we reached the hotel, I was a physical wreck. I thought I'd been beaten with baseball bats. Okay....maybe that's hyperbolic. I felt like I'd been beaten by whiffle ball bats. (Kiddies: Are they still called Wiffle balls? I"m gonna Google that Shit....excuse me...) There ya' go! They even sell them on amazon.com! They don't look very ouchie, but imagine a group of Cross-Fitters whacking the heck out of me for 5-1/2 hours with those.  So, I tucked myself in bed and basically slept all day and all night of my first day on the trip.

And now, I'm going to get to my point. I felt so guilty (when I was awake) because my parents had gone through so so much trouble and this was Sara's trip and we hadn't spent the day frolicking around one of the theme parks. I joke around about my #freepass and #cancercard a lot, but one of the things that also goes along with a debilitating disease is GUILT. New June can not do everything that Old June could do. I know some of you are sitting here, with your jaws a-slack, saying, 'You have Stage IV BRAIN CANCER". DUH! It's not your fault. What a stupid thought that you're feeling guilty. But then there are some of you that have experienced this and know exactly what I'm going through. That's okay. I'm sharing this because I wanted all of you to understand, if possible.

It maybe doesn't make sense, but it's real. We feel guilty. And we second guess ourselves a lot. Let me speak just for myself here. I second guess myself a lot. Is it that I CAN'T do ... or I SHOULDN'T do _________ [fill in the blank] This is a huge distinction for me, I"m a big believer in looking fear in the eye and saying, "BRING IT!" I've accomplished some of my best things in life by pushing past fear: job interviews, a semester living in France - and traveling all around Europe right after graduation from college, with just a backpack, a Eurorail pass and my passport....(I told you we had a genetic Wanderlust in our family.)

And I've thinking about that a lot lately. when do you listen to your inner fear when thinking about whether I should do something just because I could. It's a tough one! One movie scene for some reason keeps going through my head. You watch it quickly here:


If you say that you've never fantasized about a "Towanda moment" yourself, you are a liar. But why don't we do it? Even if we COULD do it? Because we SHOULDN'T do it. It's not about fear. It's about the longer-term ramifications. It might feel (really) good at the moment, but then there's a fall out that's unpleasant or irreparable. So, I balance in my head - and sometimes write it all down on paper - the pros and cons of a decision.

I don't regret at all going on that trip to Orlando - although there were some cons (think: Wiffle Bats), but the Pros were worth it: watching the fireworks at the castle with Sara and Steven, getting my own Hermione wand at Diagon Alley....
My New Hermione's Wand. Does anyone know the spell to get rid of brain cancer? 

And most of all, watching my #F.A.Parents interact and bond with Sara. And you know what? I think everyone came away having a great time. Bottom line is: I had to look at the long-term ramifications (like...my health!). And my guilt was a waste of time. That's easier to say now, but at the time, guilt just pushed its way in like usual.

I have another trip coming upon our calendar for the past year - a winemaker cruise up the Rhone, through the same company we went through last year on the Seine. And I started thinking about flying a red-eye from SFO to Paris and another flight from Paris to Marseilles. We didn't know this when we planned this trip, of course, but I had to change my treatment. Oh, the timing would be different in my treatment: I would have my infusion the day before leaving and have to take my chemo pills the first 5 days of the trip. The sounded like exchanging those Wiffle bats for Louisville Sluggers and have the Home Run Derby happen right there on my body. But there was that persistent guilt bubbling up until Steven and I had a conversation with my neuro-oncologist and we all thought it was in my best interest to skip this trip. This is about my health - my LIFE. The long-term ramifications are definitely NOT worth it. So, I had to give the disappointing news to so many people. And you now what? They understood. No guilt, no more. It was clear that it was the right thing to do.

Okay, so we get to this weekend. One last thing on my Goal board for this month: a 5K right here in Livemore. The last night before the race, Steven had this familiar conversation about "Should I? Could I?" I knew I could do it. I walk/jog with the doggies a lot here in the vineyards, and it was perfectly timed with no treatments sandwiched in to worry about. And I decided that I not only COULD do it, but I SHOULD do it. It has taken a big toll on my confidence as I accept this New June and her limitations at times. So, Saturday morning, I put my big girl panties on and strapped my bib on my chest, and DID. IT. And it was amazinnnnngggggg. Yes, It was "only" at 5K (3.1 miles for the uninitiated), but I got a P.R. (personal record) - (To clarify: I have no idea of my finishing time yet. I'm guessing it was slow since I did walk/jog intervals.) I can look it up online eventually, but I know it's a P.R. because it's the first run/race I've done since being diagnosed in September 2014.

I'll set the scene right before this picture was taken: as I'm running under the finish banner, I'm pumping my fists in the air, and pointing to my crazy blue-haired head and screaming "I just ran this with brain cancer!!!! I just finished this with BRAIN CANCER!!!!!"
Thank you, Alicia, for being at the finish and giving me that big hug! (even though i was acting like a crazy person! haha!)

One of my best accomplishments ever. Because I knew I COULD. And obviously I SHOULD have. Because now I know New June ain't so bad. (That's the first on the list of the "pro" column.)
______________________________________________________________________________

[This spot reserved for my gratuitous photo of my grandbaby.]

10 comments:

  1. I have to admit that I'm too often guilty of doing too much, too soon after my treatments. I feel so obsessed (I wish that wasn't the correct word, but it is) that I must live my life on my terms that I forget to listen to my body. I'm 2.5 weeks out from major surgery after a winter full of chemo. And yet, I seemingly want to pretend like none of this has been happening. After doing too much last week, I slept 12 hours Friday night, 11 more on Saturday night, a mere 8 last night, and I'm exhausted today. So, maybe I need to think a little more clearly about what I should and shouldn't do, rather than just saying yes all the time. My wife was skiing while I was doing a 90 minute walk yesterday. And, I kept thinking that "I could be skiing if I really wanted to". But, that just wasn't the truth. Great job on the race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's frustrating, isn't it? Even when "they" tell you that's it's completely normal to think these things.I think it's especially difficult with exercise after having been very active in the past and pushed through discomfort/pain/fatigue.

      Delete
  2. Have I told you how much I love you? Not because of the bc. I don't do pity. You are just amazingly honest. My Mom
    (Consuela) used to say "guilt is like a rocking chair; keeps you busy but gets you no where." i I love that scene from FGT! You, my foul mouthed friend, are inspiring. I'm glad I cyner know you. ����

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know how hard it is to get beyond the "what ifs" and totally empathize with you. It took me years to manage the anxiety and there are still days I have to just power through but yoga has made serious difference and I know it helps you too. Sucks for us A types, huh? But I know you, you'll find a way through and manage it because you are way strong!
    Always here as your cheerleader, sympathizer and friend!
    xoxo from the land of cherry blossoms 🌸🌸🌸🌸

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing!! I got this on FB and couldn't believe it(since I don't Instagram or Tweet)! Tears filled my eyes reading of your trials and tribulations with making decisions and dealing with acceptance of and from those decisions! Love you to the moon June!! Thanks for sharing!! :-) And The movie clip? OMG - one of my favorite scenes of all times!! XXXO ⭐️<3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your 5K, June - and also on conquering guilt. Both are tremendous accomplishments. Have you heard of the Spoon Theory? If not: http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/ That's what your post about decisions made me think of. Love & admiration for you from the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the link to the article. I think I'd like to share that one, too. Very thought=provoking.

      Delete
  6. You were just being your proud self! I was glad I was there to high five you!! You are a rock star!

    ReplyDelete