Saturday, February 20, 2016

The One in Which I Ask What You Would Do

I think Steven and I are still ..."adapting' to the news we got that I had a recurrence in my brain cancer. It's "easier" now that we've made a decision about which option of treatment we'll be pursuing. Or I should say have already begun pursuing. On Wednesday, we received a calendar with all my appointments that have already been set up with UCSF for the next few months. It's reassuring in a way - for a Type A personality especially - to know what is expected on our schedule. But we're still in the very beginning and have no idea if this new protocol will have an effect on the progression of my disease at my secondary site. We are on Cycle One of a 28 day cycle. Day 15, I have a fasting blood draw, then a Neuro-oncologist appointment. If the numbers from my blood draw are okay, I have my "infusion. After six cycles like this, I will just be having the Infusion Days and no Chemo Days. (I think that's right. Sometimes it's hard to keep all the details straight.)

I've already joked about this on Facebook, but I'm only partly joking. I didn't know exactly what the Infusion was going to be like, exactly...but now I know that is NOTHING like a spa treatment (and if it's on the menu of any spa you visit, DON'T choose it!), and there are no tropical drinks included with little umbrellas and the scent of pineapple or coconut - or lime, even... <rip off!>
Hey, I thought you said "cocktail"!?!?!
It's basically a drug being "infused" through an I.V. tube into my blood stream. I'm so used to being poked with needles, I know which arm is the better one with the preferred vein. (Anyone who has had/has a condition that requires a lot of blood labs, etc. is nodding his head in understanding right now.) That day, I begin my 5 day chemo cycle - pill form - at bedtime. At first, I thought, "No big deal...no real nausea with the help of Zofran and the magical MM, etc" and the most reported side effect from this other drug is eye irritation. I felt okay. Meh. Not too bad

The next day; however...I've never experienced anything like that. I've been "tired" before - really, really tired before along the way of this 16 months of initial treatment. But with this new "cocktail", I felt like someone had injected some kind of heavy metal into my bloodstream. Maybe it was like Ironman? But truth be told, I've never gotten into that franchise, so I don't think he's as lethargic and lame as I felt at that point. If I'm totally misrepresenting that character....#freepass #braincancer

What I'm trying to describe is that It required tremendous effort just to sit up or lift an arm or leg. And it wasn't like sleepy, like I had experienced before. The usual prescription for my chemo side effects were not helpful - lots of napping and binge watching on Netflix and Amazon Prime. So, I lay there like a lump. I think I was a lump. A lump o' June. Not feeling very Ninja-like at all.
Picture Ironman all rusted and creaking out: "Oil caaaaan....."  like the Tin Man of the Wizard of Oz. NOT like the Ironman triathlon endurance competitors. Does that clear that up?
Let's just say that it was not fun. That pretty much covers it all.

My clinical trial calls for a second infusion on Day 15 - which will be tomorrow, Monday, February 22nd. Without a chemo pill chaser. So....who knows what I await! Like Cracker Jacks! OOOOH, a surprise in every box! Not as tasty, but the prizes in the box now are just stupid. right?

I've not broached this subject on this blog much, but anyone in a situation like this - not just the patient, but the whole family - inevitably has conversations about "quality of life" versus "quantity of life".

Steven have had several deep discussions on our daily walks lately. And it brought me back to something I thought from the beginning with my diagnosis. That was the birth of The #mfbcfnw! Raawwwwrrrr! I don't remember much about the first few days home from the hospital after my craniotomy, but I do remember sitting on my sofa, with my oldest, April, sitting next me. She was noticeably pregnant (due in March '15). There aren't really words to say to your child in that kind of situation. but I remember saying, "I'll fight this as hard as I can. I want to be there to see your baby...." <sobbing, of course>

This what makes this situation right now particularly fucked up to me. Because I DID fight and fight and fight. And Mother fuckers, I have survived for ...almost 17 months beyond my diagnosis! I'm planning on attending Autumn's first birthday in March! Wooooot! I'm feeling a little Ninja-ish right now!

But I'll admit, when I first heard the news about the new growth in the secondary spot, I was a mess. Lots of sobbing and shell-shocked, really. And in my head, I was thinking,  Am I going to be like aRusted Ironman the rest of my life? Where's my Mother Fuckin' Brain Cancer Fighting Ninja Warrior?

I kept thinking over and over...."I really thought I'd bought myself some time."
An interesting twist of words. "bought myself some time". Well, my doctors would say, Yes, you have. You did everything you could do. This disease is just a GINORMOUS MOTHER FUCKER. <(---I think that I added that last bit.) But I'll continue to do that which I can control over to try to give myself a few more weeks, months, or years with my family and friends. I will juice and drink combinations of kale/spinach/cabbage/romaine....(it's not as bad as you think - REALLY!) I'll continue to walk every day that is feasible - except my Ironman days (if I should have more of them)

And my brain-cancery mind has thinking about it...what would YOU do to "buy yourself a little more time"? And the thing, we ALL have evidence before us that tells that we CAN. No, there's no money-back guarantees, but why do we all ignore so much scientific evidence that we're shown that if we do X-Y-Z, that it helps us to prevent certain illness or medical condition that decreases our quality of life. And yet...and yet...

we don't do those things.

Kiddies, I'm not pointing fingers, and I'm not counting myself out of this phenomenon. 

Yes, death can be completely random. You could go out today and just get hit by a bus. Boom. No warning. But would you step off the curb onto a street without looking both ways if something was coming in your direction? I'm talking about a little itty bitty change that could contribute to preventative steps.

I really don't want to have this feel like a lecture. It's not meant to be lecture. Like I said, I've just been having this stuff bouncing around in my mind.

If there was ONE THING that I could leave behind today is to have you think about your life and what you are doing now. What you value. What you would lose if you were tragically diagnosed with a terminal illness. What would you do to "buy yourself more time"? My answer right now? Almost anything. To see my granddaughter's second birthday? To be there when one of my other children got engaged and went to a wedding attire shop to pick out their outfit...and I could be there? OR watch them walk down the aisle...graduate from college or earn a masters degree...

Or the smallest, smallest  things.... I was doing laundry this morning, and I was hanging up one of Steven's shirts. It's one that he has a tough time getting the collar "just so" over his tie, and he always asks me to fix the back of the collar to cover the tie. And as I hung that shirt, I thought. What if I don't ever get to do that again?  I'm not making this up. This went through my brain cancery mind this morning. 

So, yea. You can be sure that this #MFBCFNW is still fighting. RAAAAAAWWWWRRRR! 

No gratuitous picture of my granddaughter because I'm headed out to see her in a little while, and I'll take plenty of pictures then! So, come back later to see it! 

10 comments:

  1. Do what you gotta do but hopefully you'll get by with a little help from your friends (and cocktails)
    Always here for you, wishing good things, sending good karma and hugs from a far.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  2. these are hard choices to make. when i was going thru this with mary she would ask me if she should stop treatments. my heart sank. i sais honey only you can make that choice. she fought for 7 years and decided never to stop, im not sure i could be that strong. june you have shown me that you are another amazing strong fighter like mary. bless you both. your heart and mind will give you the strength to make the decisions that are best for you. enjoy your life now and that beautiful baby. your family is your strength too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jackie! Don't forget that not only was Mary a 7-year warrior - so were you! I am well-aware that the caregivers have long, tough battle, too. Thank you for blessings! <3

      Delete
  3. God Bless you June. You are my hero. I don't know if I could be as strong as you. Praying everyday that you will come out winning. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Carol! I consider myself "winning" if I stay stay strong, no matter what happens in the future. That's my goal. And all the love and support from all of you helps me keep that strength, believe me!

      My favorite quotes from Scott Stuart says it pretty much as I feel: 'When you die, that does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live, and the manner in which you live"

      Delete
  4. I think I'm with you June, in that I'd do anything at this point in my life because of my kids. At another point , I might feel differently. Follow your gut as much as possible! Sending IronMan strength and hugs! And since I'm a librarian, I found reading Atul Gawande's book really wonderful in regards uptown all of this. Sorry... couldn't leave out a book recommendation!❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, you got it right there. My thoughts are mostly on my children and the effect anything would happen on them. It's hard-wired, right? And thank you so much for the strength and hugs...and the book recommendation! Always a good thing!

      Delete
  5. It's certainly something I've gotten to think about way too much recently. During my inpatient chemo stays, I've seen some glimpses of how I don't want things to be for me, if that time comes. I'm definitely of the opinion, for now at least, that there are limits to what I'll try. I've mentioned before that I'd likely try a clinical trial, but primarily as a "paying it forward" kind of thing, rather than just being about me. But, it's easy to talk like that when you still have some level of a chance for a cure. My chances are remote, but they still exist. I have no idea how I'll really react if and when things change radically for the worse. It's your life. Live it how you want. I think that's the best any of us can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damon, in total agreement with all that you're saying! (Doesn't surprise me! lol!)

      Delete